New Pig on the Block

Online Status

Join Date Jan 2017
Posts 2
Location San Francisco, CA

Thanked 0 times
in 0 posts

Default Pooping Under Water Bottle

My guinea pig has a habit of peeing and pooping under the water bottle. This would be fine with me, but the bottle is a metal ball one, so it leaks a little. She's also quite chubby, so her back sometimes touches the spout of the bottle and water drips onto her. I'm concerned since it is the winter season, and though the room is kept at a steady 70 degrees, I worry that she'll get cold. I've tried moving the water bottle but she just gets confused and poops both under the water bottle and the space where the water bottle used to be. Any advice, or is this behavior ok?

Old 22-01-2017, 02:22 PM   #2
eppingstrider

Wheekoming Committee

Online Status

Join Date Nov 2008
Posts 7,618
Location Norfolk, UK

Thanked 2,627 times
in 1,765 posts

Default Re: Pooping Under Water Bottle

I think she'll be fine. If the water bottle is in a corner it's quite usual for piggies to poop there (and wee there, I used to laugh at George backing up into a corner to wee before he'd let himself be picked up!). She'll soon adjust to the new position. And you noticed that the water runs off her back, so she shouldn't get wet unless she rubs it in! If she does, check her for mites or similar.
Is it 70 even at night? Even if the nighttime temperature drops lower (my boys get down to around 52 at night), provided she's got plenty of dry places to sit or lie, she'll be okay. Hay to burrow in and sleep on is another option. Many of us use fleece cosies or snugglesacks or tunnels, which are also options for them to choose to be warmer.
And welcome to the forum! Nice to meet you.

Last edited by eppingstrider; 22-01-2017 at 02:23 PM..

Mum to Kevin, Mr Percy, Oscar & Midge, and never forgetting the superstars Fred, George, Victor, Hugo, Humphrey, Hector, Colman, Dylan and Dougall.
Click here to read The Princelings of the East FREE

The following members say thank you for this useful post

Old 25-01-2017, 05:38 PM   #3
mochi the pig

New Pig on the Block

Online Status

Join Date Jan 2017
Posts 2
Location San Francisco, CA

Thanked 0 times
in 0 posts

Quote: Originally Posted by eppingstrider

I think she'll be fine. If the water bottle is in a corner it's quite usual for piggies to poop there (and wee there, I used to laugh at George backing up into a corner to wee before he'd let himself be picked up!). She'll soon adjust to the new position. And you noticed that the water runs off her back, so she shouldn't get wet unless she rubs it in! If she does, check her for mites or similar.
Is it 70 even at night? Even if the nighttime temperature drops lower (my boys get down to around 52 at night), provided she's got plenty of dry places to sit or lie, she'll be okay. Hay to burrow in and sleep on is another option. Many of us use fleece cosies or snugglesacks or tunnels, which are also options for them to choose to be warmer.
And welcome to the forum! Nice to meet you.

Nice to meet you too! I have a heater that monitors the temp of my bedroom and I set a temperature on it, 70. Then, if the temp drops from 70, the heater will turn on and heat the room to 70. If the room goes above 70, the heater will cool the room back down.

As for warm places to lie, I cover the entire cage with newspaper and I fill her hidey house with bedding to keep her warm. I'm working to get a hay pile for her, so do you know the best hay to use? I currently only have Timothy hay, and I think it's a bit too straw-like to use. Thanks!!

Old 25-01-2017, 06:44 PM   #4
eppingstrider

Wheekoming Committee

Online Status

Join Date Nov 2008
Posts 7,618
Location Norfolk, UK

Thanked 2,627 times
in 1,765 posts

Timothy is fine, although a bit rich for everyday. It depends what you can get hold of. In the Uk we mostly use standard meadow hay, but make sure whatever you use has been 'dust-extracted' or is otherwise marked dust-free. It'll be fine from most big names. Hay for horses is fine unless it's been specially enriched. Timothy is okay. Don't use alfalfa, its too rich unless you have a pregnant sow!

Hay should be quite hard so it gives their teeth a good work-out!

Personally I think 70 all the time is too much, although as you're in San Francisco, you are probably generally warmer than us here in the UK. Don't suddenly drop the temperature if that's what she's used to, though

Last edited by eppingstrider; 25-01-2017 at 06:46 PM..

Mum to Kevin, Mr Percy, Oscar & Midge, and never forgetting the superstars Fred, George, Victor, Hugo, Humphrey, Hector, Colman, Dylan and Dougall.
Click here to read The Princelings of the East FREE

Closed Thread